The best honey in terms of its healing and nourishing effects is surely Manuka Honey. Manuka honey comes from the nectar of Manuka shrub flowers. The 3 most important ingredients in Manuka honey is as follows: Leptisperin manuka is nectar emerging from the bush, DHA is an omega-3 fatty acid type, and methylglyoxal is an antibacterial component. This shrub grows in wild, cultivated land in New Zealand’s free environment. It also grows in Australia, where similar honey is made. However, real Manuka honey is produced only in New Zealand.
Bacteria have the ability to resist elements that try to destroy them, such as antibiotics. However, manuka honey destroys bacteria in a different way by removing them from water, making it impossible for them to survive. To date, no bacteria have been reported that can develop resistance to manuka honey. Manuka honey has the right amount of ingredients for the maximum damage. The six factors below work together to provide broad-spectrum activity against bacteria:
- Methylglyoxal (MGO). The amount of MGO, an antibacterial compound, determines its antibacterial activity. This unique compound is what distinguishes MANUKA from other honey.
- Hydrogen peroxide. The honey enzyme called glucose oxidase makes hydrogen peroxide when the honey is diluted with water. This is produced when bee enzymes are added to the nectar.
- Sugar. Honey has so much sugar that there is not enough water for bacteria.
- Bee defensin 1. A protein found in royal jelly (special food for queen larvae) works as an antibiotic.
- Acid. The pH of the diluted honey is around 3.5; Acidic environment slows bacterial growth.
- Dehydration. Manuka honey draws water from bacteria and makes it impossible for microbes to survive.
Please do not use rare, expensive Manuka honey in your tea. Hot tea destroys living enzymes in honey, making it less effective. This is healing honey, not a sweetener for tea. It would be better to take a spoonful every day and kill the germs!
Health Benefits of Manuka Honey
Manuka honey has long been popular all over the world with its antibacterial properties. It has also been proven by scientists who have conducted research that it has a strong effect against infections. Besides, according to some recent studies, it has been observed to be beneficial against skincare problems.
The antibacterial properties of Manuka honey are much higher than other honey. It is very effective against stomach ulcers and sore throats. Studies have shown that it heals wounds and is good for skin ulcers. It is also rich in antioxidants that support immunity. It is good for intestinal and stomach problems. It is known to be effective against burns, and to relieve pain and burning. It is enough to drink 1 spoon for sore throats and digestive system.
The low humidity in Manuka honey makes it more popular than other types of honey. But what does it mean to have low humidity? When you pour manuka honey on the wound, it acts faster and the wound absorbs the honey more quickly. When you use this honey, which has received a medical degree award, your body can regain its pH and wrinkles will disappear in a short time.
Robert Graham, an expert in medicine and founder of Fresh Med NYC, says manuka honey can be used in medical situations. “Manuka honey for acute burns, diabetic ulcers and arterial ulcers has successfully passed many research experiments on its use,” he said. Manuka honey helps to improve the following conditions in general:
- It improves the overall immune system function by killing harmful bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract (Gastrointestinal tract contains 85% of the immune system).
- Colds, flu and sore throat (kills bacteria in your throat)
- It has been proven to work well on cough suppressants
- Oral infections such as bad breath, dental cavities, plaque, gingivitis, and periodontal disease
- Cold sores
- Skin injuries and infections such as MRSA, staph, abrasions, mastitis (breast infection), boils, diabetic ulcers, ringworm, rashes, athlete’s foot, nail fungus
- Rosacea (Rose disease)
- Candida Albicans (“mouth, intestine, vagina” fungus naturally found on the inner surfaces of the body),
- Digestive System (Gastrointestinal) infections
- Heartburn, Acid Reflux, Gastritis and Indigestion
- Stomach ulcer
- H. pylori (25-50% of people have this stomach infection)
- IBS, Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- It removes sleep disorder, helps for Deep Sleep.
- It is said that it is seen to be effective in controlling cancer tumor growth and metastasis, and it is followed that scientific researches are continuing in every field.
- It can help relieve chemotherapy and radiation symptoms.
How Manuka Honey Heals Wounds?
Manuka honey helps wound healing in many ways. Its antibacterial effect quickly removes bacteria that spread to skin tissues to reach deep infections. The anti-inflammatory effect reduces swelling and pain. Honey also has an osmotic effect, removes dirt and cleanses the wound. The moist healing environment ensures the regeneration of new skin growth and prevents scarring. When a dressing changes, there is no rupture in newly formed tissues because it creates a barrier between the wound of the honey and the dressing. By killing ammonia-producing bacteria, the bad smell of the wound is greatly reduced.
Manuka Honey can be used orally or topically. The following dosages are recommended:
- Enhanced immunity: MGS (Molan Gold Standard) or UMF 10+ 1-2 teaspoons daily.
- Digestive disorders and infections: MGS or UMF 16+ to 25+ 1-3 teaspoons daily
- Topical: Apply honey with MGS 20+ or higher activity every 12 hours and cover with dry sterile gauze and bandage.
- Rosacea (Rose Disease), Eczema, Psoriasis (Psoriasis) or Acne: Apply honey to the affected area, cover with dressing and leave for an hour a day.
Manuka Honey Rating Systems
Note that not all manuka honey has a medical-grade. It is difficult to determine the true bioactivity or healing levels of honey. Producers use a wide variety of measures to evaluate their honey. Below are the ratings or words you will see on the manuka honey labels:
- A significant number between 1 and 30 with or without a symbol.
- Active or Activity words
- Bio-active or Bio-activity words
- MGS (Molan Gold Standard)
- MGO (can be measured the amount of MGO, methylglyoxal, manuka honey antibacterial component)
- AAH (Antibacterial, Antioxidant Honey)
- NPA (Peroxide Free Activity)
- TA (Total Activity)
The most obvious element you will see on a manuka honey label is a number between 1 and 30. This grading system is comparable to the percentage of antibacterial activity. The higher the number on the label, the higher the antibacterial strength of manuka honey. The higher the activity, the higher the price. Only 10+ (plus) and higher manuka honey are considered suitable for active and therapeutic use. Medium range certified manuka is good (i.e. 15+). A low-certified manuka degree (ie less than 10) does not have the expected healing properties for manuka honey.
Molan Gold Standard is a guarantee of manuka honey power. Professor Molan is the founder of bioactive honey and authority in manuka honey research. In 2009, manuka, known as the Molan Gold Standard, announced the latest benchmark for excellence. This new certification uses an improved test method that produces a more precise bioactivity measurement for manuka honey. Molan developed the Gold Standard because it is outdated other rating systems and thinks its results are very variable and unreliable.
Manuka Honey Standards
Molan Gold Standard ™ is a government-recognized certification brand that evaluates the natural marker methylglyoxal with Manuka honey and guarantees purity and quality. The Molan Gold Standard has been prepared to give the consumers complete confidence that they have an accurate, scientifically performed measurement of the claimed methylglyoxal content of what they are purchasing.
Molan Gold Standard ™ was developed and named by scientist Dr. Peter Molan, who discovered the special antibacterial properties of Manuka honey when applied topically. Dr. Molan is considered one of the world’s leading honey scientists and has been researching honey on publishing well-known articles in international scientific and medical journals since 1981.
The most common grading system that measures antibacterial potential from 0 to 50 is known as the Unique Manuka Factor (UMF). The UMF trademark states that the supplier has been regulated and must perform laboratory tests on each honey lot to measure its antibacterial effect. There should also be a license number listed somewhere on the label. There is no reassurance that the label is truly medical grade when the label simply refers to a number without the letter “UMF”, that is, 15+, or just “active”. These two standards are the only standard that should be reliable.
If the jar of Manuka Honey does not have UMF or Molan Gold Standard (MGS) on the label, it should be known that a laboratory test has not been performed to measure the antibacterial effect. In fact, many honey producers have a grading system designed to test and label their honey. Non-third party Manuka honey is usually less costly and less effective when not tested with the UMF or Molan Gold standard (MGS). Don’t be fooled by low-cost manuka honey types.
Some honey types are also graded according to the amount of MGO or methylglyoxal they contain and an MGO grade is given on the label. However, this is not considered a true measure of the antibacterial activity of honey. Studies show that MGO levels are not directly related to increased antibacterial activity. For example, honey has a higher MGO value after being heated. Therefore, the MGO level is not considered a reliable rating system. The remaining points you will see in the honey are AAH, NPA, and TA. You will see these scores in cheaper honey. These are unreliable. Original, pure, natural Manuka honey must have UMF rating and Molan Gold Standard.
Understanding how honey is collected, processed and packaged is an important factor in determining the health properties of honey. Only pure, unprocessed raw honey will provide you with optimal health benefits. This is honey that is not heated above 95 degrees, kills healthy enzymes and probiotics, is not micro-filtered, destroys beneficial pollen residues and has added nothing. Organic honey is produced without herbicides or pesticides. This can be accomplished by avoiding contact with the pesticide sprayed vegetation, usually when the bees are fed in intact environments. Certified manuka honey has all these features. Since Manuka honey has medicinal properties, it is a wide range of topical uses such as wound dressings, antibiotic honey ointments, and creams to treat skin conditions.
Warnings About Manuka Honey Use
There are a few warnings about manuka honey worth mentioning! Because every health condition and person is different, manuka honey may not work for you or for any specified condition. Manuka honey is very sweet. The carbohydrate content of a teaspoon of honey is equivalent to a cup of chopped apples or roughly a third of 5.5 grams of carbohydrates.
Manuka honey is contraindicated in people with diabetes or other blood sugar problems. Individuals with diabetes with poor ability to metabolize sugar may experience increased cellular damage due to increased methylglyoxal levels. Indeed, metformin, a drug prescribed for diabetics, is designed to improve the methylglyoxal effects in the tissues of diabetic patients. Topical use is perfectly safe for diabetics. (Topical treatment is the direct application of the drugs to the skin with different methods. For example, for wound treatments of Diabetes patients.)
Honey should not be given to children under one year in case of rare botulism contamination. People with severe pollen allergies should consult their doctor. Pregnant and lactating women should consult their doctor.
Although there are many claims that eating manuka honey can treat side effects while receiving cancer treatment such as radiation and chemotherapy, the sugar content of honey is contraindicated (it is inconvenient) because the sugar cell feeds cancer cells. If the benefits of honey outweigh the potential to catch and promote cancer, you should consult with your doctor. Topical use, as with diabetes patients, is good for cancer patients.
Best Healing Honey That You Can Buy Online
- Wedderspoon Raw Premium Manuka Honey KFactor 16+, Unpasteurized, Genuine New Zealand Honey, Multi-Functional, Non-GMO Superfood, 17.6 Ounce
- Comvita Certified UMF 10+ (MGO 263+) Raw Manuka Honey I New Zealand’s #1 Manuka Brand I Authentic, Wild, Unpasteurized, Non-GMO Superfood I Premium Grade I 17.6 oz