With the arrival of the winter months, cold flu reappeared, and Covid-19 cases increased. These problems raised a question again; How to avoid these diseases? During this period, many people hesitate even to go to hospitals to protect against the epidemic. So they are searching for herbal treatment methods from many sources. Turmeric-honey mixture, which is one of these herbal ways, is an herbal remedy that many people have heard from people around and social media for years. However, not having enough information about these products may bring some problems. Therefore, people should ask the following question before using this mixture: Do I have enough information about these products?
Turmeric and honey are the most commonly used products for body health and skincare in natural medicine mixtures. In studies on Covid-19 disease, researchers call these two products natural remedies for Covid-19. Some of the benefits of these products; to prevent respiratory infections, strengthen the immune system, fight skin diseases, prevent dry cough, and support flu treatment.
Turmeric, the Yellow Miracle
Turmeric is one of the most recommended herbs in terms of both health and beauty in recent years. Turmeric is a spice from the ginger family, known as saffron root and Indian saffron, widely found in Asia, especially in India.
Generally known for its ability to color foods, turmeric contains tetrahydro curcumin, an odorless, heat-resistant, antioxidant compound. Curcumin makes up 3-5% of turmeric. This substance is soluble in materials such as acetone and ethanol, but not in water. The main component of the plant is curcumin. Curcumin, obtained from the Curcuma longa plant, is a low-weight, hydrophobic polyphenolic flavonoid. The plant used as a yellow-orange coloring agent contains polyphenolic components called Curcuminoids.
Studies in the last 50 years show that curcumin reduces blood cholesterol levels. Curcumin provides a significant increase in insulin level. A study on mice found that age-related diabetes complications can reduce in rats treated with curcumin. Curcumin significantly lowers blood sugar and glucose hemoglobin levels.
This spice has energy, protein, carbohydrate, fat, and fiber content. Also, it contains B group vitamins, E and C and K vitamins, except vitamin B12. It also contains calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, and zinc minerals. Turmeric does not include cholesterol. It contains water. Turmeric contains a certain amount of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. In research with turmeric oil, this oil reduces cholesterol more than drugs.
Turmeric, a plant native to India, may seem like just a kitchen spice for some recipes. At the same time, it is natural medicine. It’s an anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogen, antiviral, and anti-fungal antibiotic thanks to its nervous system protection ability. It destroys disease-causing bacterias and tumors that collapse the body’s immunity. Turmeric is also a natural anti-inflammatory and pain reliever with its benefits to human health. With turmeric’s high antioxidant ingredients, it can fight various disease types, treat infections, and prevent diseases.
Curcumin component, which is the most active in turmeric and does not contain toxic substances, is antilipidemic (it has the effect of lowering the lipid-to-fat ratio in the blood) thanks to its polyphenol feature. It also fights Gastrointestinal diseases (diseases in the mouth, pharynx, esophagus, stomach, duodenum, small intestine, large intestine, gall bladder, liver, and pancreas), multiple sclerosis, cardiovascular diseases, and Parkinson’s disease.
To use turmeric, people must first wash and dry it. Then they should boil it in water and grind the dark yellow root stems. Last, they must store turmeric in a dry and dark place. In this form, turmeric also replaces saffron. Turmeric has a compound called curcuminoids. Curcuminoid has various healing properties that make turmeric strong enough to fight almost any health problem in one go. It is also a powerful antioxidant, contains anti-fungal properties. Do not forget to add turmeric to your meals to protect your health!
10 Benefits of Turmeric
- Turmeric helps the body to cleanse the respiratory system, fight infection. Its anti-inflammatory properties relieve people from the direct effects of colds and flu.
- With its antioxidant properties, turmeric helps wounds heal and is an anti-inflammatory.
- Turmeric counteracts conditions such as respiratory tract infection, asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis. It strengthens the immune system.
- Turmeric prevents the formation of acne, removes itching on the areas with eczema. It increases the intelligence level in children, strengthens memory, and fights Alzheimer’s disease.
- Turmeric provides the secretion of serotonin hormone thanks to the vitamin B6 it contains. So turmeric gives happiness. It helps you feel better if you are experiencing depression and melancholy. Especially honey tea with turmeric shows effective results in such complaints. Turmeric tea also regulates mood and stress due to its positive effects on hormonal balance.
- Turmeric reduces cholesterol to normal levels, reduces the risk of paralysis, and is effective against cough.
- Turmeric delays the spread of cancer cells thanks to its active ingredient curcumin, which helps prevent breast, skin cancer, and cardiovascular diseases. It has a preventive effect on the formation of colon and prostate cancer, a calming effect, and helps in diabetes disease treatment.
- Turmeric relieves heartburn thanks to the acids in its content, removes bloating, helps to lose weight.
- Turmeric preserves the elastic structure of the skin, removes skin dryness, and delays aging.
- Turmeric allows from the body the removal of heavy metals, thanks to potassium in itself. It has a pain-relieving effect. It renews the cells in the skin thanks to the B6 vitamins it contains, protects skin pigmentation.
Nature’s Sweetest Gift, Honey
Honey has been a big part of human life for ten thousand years. It is one of the most consumed foods due to its power to fight infections since modern antibiotics were not available. Many scientists claim that honey is more effective than most antibiotic medications due to its lack of side effects. Honey can also be used for cuts and wounds by applying it directly onto them, taken orally to treat health problems.
People believe that honey helps reduce both the frequency and the severity of cough for various reasons. They also use it as a natural remedy to soothe sore, dry, or itchy throats. Eating honey can also help with acid reflux. People have used honey as a natural cough suppressant for years, and national publications have confirmed it as cough medicine.
Honey is known to have many benefits. But there is a frequent question about it; ‘Which type of honey is the best?’ There are many types of honey with different colors, textures, and benefits. Examples are Palynoflora honey, raw honey, Anzer honey, Virgin honey, and wildflower honey.
Raw, local, and unpasteurized honey contains beneficial micronutrient compounds such as pollen, propolis, and honeycomb. Researchers say that unpasteurized honey contains higher amounts of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes. Local farmers’ markets and health food stores are the best places to look for local and raw honey. However, you can also use internet shopping to purchase this product, especially during this period.
Honey produced by the bee from many flowers is called Palynoflora Honey. Experts make this honey from species such as Cornflower and Taurus Satureja Thymbra, located in Eğriçayır plateau at an altitude of 2400 meters in the Taurus Mountains, using organic beekeeping method. These species have adapted to arid climates. Palynoflora has the status of raw honey since it is not pasteurized honey.
Organic wildflower honey produces with pollen obtained by bees from wildflowers. Its freshness and natural taste make it popular in recent years, also a source of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Organic wildflower honey improves skin tone and prevents breakouts. Antioxidants protect internal organs from stress and cellular damage. Organic wildflower honey reduces the effect of free radicals, the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, and inflammation in the gut. This honey helps with constipation, balancing good bacteria, and improving nutrient absorption. Studies show that organic wildflower honey reduces allergic responses in the body, rich in carbohydrates, essences, and minerals. Organic honey increases energy.
Anzer honey produces in the region known as located in Turkey, Anzer Plateau. For this reason, it is one of the very rare honeys in the world. It differs from other kinds of honey in terms of aroma and taste because it consists of honey collected by the bees only from the flowers that can grow in that region.
Virgin Honey is also flower honey. What makes Organic Virgin honey important is that it is the first honey produced while the beehive formed. The young bee colony leaving the beehive looks for a new beehive. The first honey it makes in the new beehive they found for them is Virgin honey. One of the features that make this honey different is that it is the first honey produced by this young colony, which can produce higher enzymes, good quality of honey differs accordingly. Families engaged in beekeeping generally did not give swarm honey to anyone, reserved it for themselves, and consumed it in the past. When there are more hives, a little more can produce now, as more colonies formed.
Can We Mix Honey with Turmeric? Why Not!
Both turmeric and honey have many benefits, but combining these natural nutrients makes for powerful medicine. Many medical professionals and South American shamans interested in natural remedies have long called this mixture the strong natural antibiotic known to humanity. Due to the healing effect of turmeric and honey being an organic healing source, they form a natural medicine that remedies many health problems when used together. Also, these two products are among the most comfortable to use as a medicine. Turmeric with honey is an effective antibiotic, good for cough. Many experts recommend the use of turmeric with the varieties of honey we mentioned above.
The mixture of turmeric and honey, also known as golden honey, is a natural remedy with powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that support the body’s defenses. This natural mixture is effective in strengthening immunity against colds, flu, and even covid-19 disease. It removes hoarseness, prevents tonsil related diseases, regulates metabolism, a powerful natural antibiotic; the advantage over synthetic drugs is that it does not harm the intestinal flora. This mixture destroys various viruses and bacteria that cause disease. It is a food that increases the number of healthy bacteria in the intestines.
Honey-turmeric mixture fights more than 150 diseases, including inflammatory diseases and various types of cancer. It contains large amounts of polyphenols, vitamins, and minerals. Thanks to vitamins C and E in its content, it prevents the damage caused by free radicals and the deterioration associated with premature aging. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a treatment for arthritis, osteoarthritis, and gout diseases.
What is the Benefit of Turmeric and Honey?
- Ability to fight pathogens such as clostridium, eliminates toxins, relieves duodenal ulcers. It reduces the risk of dementia. In this mixture, there is calcium, one of the minerals that the body needs the most. It nourishes the gums and stops bleeding.
- It reduces the effects of some types of cancer and symptoms related to flu, colds, and other respiratory diseases. It prevents urinary tract infections, lowers cholesterol, it can improve fat metabolism. Patients with severe can get rid of bone pain by eating this mixture twice a day.
- It is rich in vitamins C, D, and K.
- It relieves fatigue and allowing patients to get out of bed within a few days, removes toxins from the body. Honey is effective for relieving chronic headaches. Honey-turmeric mixture, which is a complete vitamin store, cures oral wounds.
- The body temperature of people who consume this mixture frequently during the winter months becomes suitable for health. This mixture enables the body to gain resistance against Influenza B viruses. Honey and turmeric treat a variety of issues such as cuts, wounds, and sprains.
- This mixture destroys harmful substances that pose a risk to cells in a much shorter time. Turmeric has a miraculous effect on persistent cough. When combined with natural food such as honey, it stops the cough that does not pass and provides relief in the throat. While honey with turmeric softens the throat, it is also helpful for patients who have difficulty swallowing and sore throat.
Honey-turmeric mixture, which protects the body against various diseases, can be consumed in all seasons of the year. This healthy mixture should be consumed regularly not only by adults but also by children. Especially with the strengthening of the immune system, honey destroys harmful pathogenic bacteria. In this way, the risk of infection decreases, and getting winter diseases, especially flu, are reduced.
If you have any health problems, you should try the “honey with turmeric” to support the treatment and speed up the healing. You can also use it to boost metabolism, even if you are not sick.
How to Prepare Honey with Turmeric?
With fresh or ground turmeric you can make honey in less than 5 minutes! Fresh turmeric is generally preferred as it is not as processed as ground turmeric. However, you can also buy high-quality organic ground turmeric.
Make sure these ingredients are 100% organic to reap all the benefits. If you want to prepare at a high rate:
- 1-small jar of honey
- ¼ cup of powdered turmeric
If you want to prepare a few times:
- 4-tablespoons pure honey
- 1-tablespoon of turmeric
You can also use fresh turmeric for your mixture. Instead of powdered turmeric, peel the outer skin of 1-2 turmeric roots, grate the turmeric very finely. The ingredients are thoroughly mixed and stored in a glass jar with its mouth closed. Stir with a spoon before use to ensure that the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
One-time preparation of the mixture:
Mix 1-teaspoon of turmeric into 1-teaspoon of honey in a small bowl and make a paste, first soften it a little in your mouth, then swallow it in one go. After a day or two, the cough will appear to cease, and your throat to be relieved. You can add some spices (especially black pepper) and lemon juice to help activate curcumin (the compound responsible for turmeric benefits) in turmeric and increase bioavailability.
How Can This Mixture Be Consumed?
4 Things to know when consuming this mixture:
- As a preventive medicine against many diseases, it is recommended to consume one spoon of this mixture every day, especially in the morning on an empty stomach. (The size of the spoon may vary depending on the condition of your illness. You can a tablespoon prefer for a severe cough.)
- If you have a cold or cough, you should use it 3-4 times during the day. As your cough subsides, lower the dose.
- If you think it’s too sweet, you can add it to a glass of warm water and dissolve it. Or add some lemon juice. It has an intense taste; you can eat it like a paste with a spoon or mix it into warm milk.
- You can use 1-teaspoon of this mixture every day to strengthen your immune system and not get sick in winter.
The best thing about this turmeric honey mix is that it’s easy to use. You can put it in a small jar and take it anywhere. You can also consume it with yogurt, oatmeal, toast, add it to your water, tea, and even smoothies.
How to Make Turmeric-Honey Tea?
- 1-glass of water
- 1/2 tablespoon of powdered turmeric
- 1-tablespoon of honey
Make of the tea:
Add turmeric to the water and boil for about 2-3 minutes. When the boiling process is over, let it cool down, add honey, and mix. Consume it when it becomes potable. It is better to consume on an empty stomach. It is more suitable for daytime consumption.
Does the mixture have any harm? Who shouldn’t use it?
There are some items to be considered in this regard.
- Consumption more than specified may cause problems such as nausea.
- It is not suitable to add sugar to the mixture for sweetening. That can reduce its healing properties.
- Fresh turmeric root can temporarily stain your nails, hands, kitchen tools, cutting boards, and anything that comes into contact with turmeric.
- Honey may have a toxic effect on babies under one year old. Because this mixture contains sugar, it is not suitable for babies and diabetics.
- If you have an extreme situation like pregnancy or are breastfeeding your baby, this product may cause some problems. Therefore, you should consult your doctor before using it. If you have a surgery planned nearby, avoid consuming this prescription.
- If you suffer from gall bladder disease, avoid taking turmeric.
- Turmeric can prevent blood thinners from working. If you are taking medications for heart and circulatory health, consult a professional.
What is the Effect of Turmeric and Honey on the Skin?
Many doctors say that turmeric is one of the most preferred beauty ingredients. Because it has the potential to eliminate many visible problems when used in skincare. Thanks to its anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties, it reduces the appearance of wrinkles. Besides, it improves the overall skin tone and brightens the skin by lightening dark spots.
You can easily make a turmeric mask in your kitchen. You can also add oats and yogurt, which have skin balancing properties, to soothe the skin.
How to Make a Turmeric Mask?
The ingredients required for a turmeric mask that is good for acne and regenerates and strengthens the skin are:
- 1-teaspoon of turmeric
- 2-tablespoons of honey
Before making the mask: First, put the apple cider vinegar in the water and mix it. Take some of the mixtures with a cotton ball, wipe your face with this mixture, and wait for 5 minutes.
Mix ginger and honey into a paste and apply this paste on your face. After waiting for 15-20 minutes, clean with warm water and repeat several times a week (3-4 at most).
Do not stay on your face all night, as turmeric tends to stain (especially if your skin is very light). If the yellowness of the spice gets on your face, clean it with milk.
The Healthiest Honey and Turmeric Products You Can Buy Online
- BEE&YOU On The Go Turmeric-Cinnamon-Ginger-Raw Honey-Propolis – 12×1.73 oz (20.74 oz) – Supports Healthy Immune System